nuestro unico problema es que nos falta chicha

Friday, June 15, 2007

Stranded in Miami, Miami Beach, FL, USA

There were severe delays in Houston last night. This meant that american couldn't get me into miami until 2am, over 5 hours late. I missed my connection into La Paz, and my subsequent connection into Cochabamba. I leave for Bolivia tonight at 2320, and hopefully will get a boleta to Cochabamba for an arrival of 1540 tommorow.

I did get to sleep in front of a explosion containment case for potential airport bombs (hello CIA keyword grabber software). It was quite exciting.

I also have the full day to spend in Miami, so I am writing this post from a library in Miami beach--just a 1.50 bus fare away from that hellish airport and its overpriced commodities (though food is no cheaper out here, but there's a beach). There is definitely a huge cubano population here, most people seem to speak spanish. The highlight was getting out of the airport in time to see the sunrise over the ocean. So not a terrible layover, but still an unwanted hassle--even if it was to a supposed "tropical paradise."

Can't wait to actually get to Bolivia...

4 comments:

Emily said...

poor love. when you read this you'll be there, por fin. Que animo!

Marmot said...

Hi honey - by now you should be there....I hope it all went well....I look forward to hearing from you. I have written a couple of comments to you here, but they don't seem to ever show up. Oh, well. As I said in my last note, I trust your assessment of your situation there and know you will keep safe. We will help you in any way we can if you need us. Praying for you, missing you, loving you. MOT

Marmot said...

Hi Erik,
Beautiful morning outside Munich. Heading to Dachau today for what promises to be a powerful experience. The choir sang at Mozart's church yesterday in Salzburg Austria - you would have loved the beauty of the place. A candle burns there for you...
I will check back later in hopes you have arrived and found a way to communicate. I know it must have been/is a very full day for you. We love you son - Mom

Marmot said...

Hi Erik,
I wish you had posted today so I know you landed softly in Bolivia and all is well. Please call Dad on his cell over here or email - we are worried of course. We love you so much. Dachau was moving and I am exhausted. Leaving Munich tomorrow and going to Rothenburg where the city is the same as it was in the middle ages. I love and miss you so much. Grandpa came home today to the house - he has a spiral fracture of his left leg (this is bad) and broke both bones in his wrist. I wonder if he will ever come back from it. All my love little buddy - Mom